October 18, 2010

Crepes...

...otherwise known as THE BEST BREAKFAST IN THE WORLD!!!
The other day at work, when there wasn't really much work to do, I was exploring the world of internet baking sites. And ooh did I find a good one! It's called bakingobsession.com. Seriously amazing. It's creator/chef is a russian woman who has exquisite recipes/taste. They are a little weird at times...I think it's the foreign thing (no offense to any foreigners out there)...but there are also some amazing recipes that I have to try! You may think I'm kidding about how amazing this site is but I promise, I'm not! If you love to try new things, check it out.
Anyway, while not working at work, (don't judge me, it happens to the best of us) I stumbled across a crepe recipe. I actually make crepes quite a bit. They are my absolute favorite breakfast. It's kind of like dessert in the morning for breakfast. If you're opposed to that idea, well, you probably shouldn't be reading my blog because almost all my baking is surrounded with calories and high fat content...deal with it! So I wasn't really interested in finding a new crepe recipe because my crepes are AMAZING! But I'm always looking for new ways to prepare them. These crepes that I found were a creme cheese custardy filling with blueberry sauce topping. YU-UMMM!!!

So I got up before church on Sunday, put my pretty little apron on (thanks Mommy!), and got to work. I made my amazing crepes. Heated up some blueberries with a little sugar, water, and lemon juice. (Don't forget the cornstarch for thickening purposes.) And processed some cottage cheese, creme cheese, and powdered sugar in my food processor until it formed a beautiful, smooth, white custard. Say it with me everyone: "Yu-umm!"

Downside of the morning: First, I forgot to take pictures of the process. :( Second, I spent so much time on my beautifully amazing breakfast, I didn't have time to get ready for church so I (without showering) pulled my hair into a ponytail, tried unsuccessfully to wipe the smudged mascara from under my eyes, and went to church. And yes, I did sit in the very back row!
I may not have gotten any pictures, but here is one from the website where I got the recipe. And yes, they did look that good sitting on my table!


Pat myself on the back for this one!
Here's the recipe. Enjoy!


For Crepes:
¾ cup Flour

3 tbsp Sugar

Pinch of Salt

2 Eggs

1 cup 2 tbsp Milk

1½ tsp Butter, melted


Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Cook thin pancakes on medium heat and serve with your favorite fruit filling.


For filling:
•l cup cottage cheese

•½ lb cream cheese

•4-6 tbsp icing sugar (more according to taste)

•Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
Preparation:
Process the curd cheese, cream cheese, zest (if using) and icing sugar in a food processor until smooth, for a minute or two.

Place a generous tablespoon of the cheese filling down the center of the crêpe. Fold the bottom part of the crêpe over the filling then fold the sides and roll up the crêpe as a cigar. Fill the rest of the crêpes in the same manner.


For Blueberry Sauce:
•4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (it is not necessary to thaw frozen berries)

•2/3 cup water

•2/3 cup sugar

•Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon

•3 tbsp cornstarch

•¼ cup water

Preparation:
In a large saucepan combine the blueberries, water, sugar, lemon zest and juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for a minute or two; the berries should soften slightly, and some of their skins will pop. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and water, and add it into the berries. Simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. You have to cook the cornstarch sufficiently enough to get rid of the chalky starch flavor. Taste to be sure it’s gone. Remove from the heat, cool, then refrigerate tightly covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment